Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The truth i found in a simple beggar

I was standing in front of class, waiting for my friend. We were going to go home together. A beggar came over and asked,"bhaiyya, shoes polish kar doon? (bhaiya, should i polish your shoes?)" I simply took a 5 rupee note and gave it to him. his eyes watered, he said,"bhaiya, everyone used give me money and say 'you should do some work instead of just begging'. i've decided not to beg. can you please buy me a brush with which i can polish people's shoes?" i told him that i didn't have the money. he simply kept pleading. i finally showed him my empty wallet. he understood and said,"thik hain bhaiya, main yeh paisa nahi lunga (fine bhaiya, i won't take the money)". I argued and said that he should save the money and buy a brush for himself, and finally convinced him to keep the money. But the reflection on the conversation still startles me. The sad look he had and his refusal to take my money without working for it...

1 comment: